We have arrived at a point in my blogging efforts where I
start to feel like I’m shouting into a void, or perhaps just talking to myself
in the bathroom mirror. I’ve started to question whether or not I have anything
to say that anyone wants to hear, feeling a lot of pressure about what I should
talk about next. Instead of trying to be edgy, interesting or creative, I’m
just going to be…real. It’s not glamorous but I think I can pull it off. We’ll
see!
I am halfway through my ICU rotation now, with 2 weeks left
to go. I am working on the Cardiovascular ICU and I’ve been on the “D1” team,
which is the less acute heart failure, heart attacks, valve replacements and
various cardiac related problems. The physiology behind the medicine has a lot
of physics and flow dynamics and you have to think a lot about why something is happening to your
patient, which is sort of unusual for medicine. Medical school has taught me
not to ask why things happen in the human body because the answer so frequently
is that we don’t know. And it makes lecturers grumpy to have to admit that.
But in heart failure, mechanism of dysfunction is an
important thing to consider. Is there hypertension? What is the size of the
aorta? The left ventricle? Then there is the tender balance between necessary
diuresis and possible kidney trouble. We care a lot about kidneys in the CV
ICU.
Like any workplace, the co-workers make or break your
experience. I’ve been really lucky with my team so far. Next week there are big
changes in the resident & fellow schedules so my fellow 4th year
and I will have a bunch of new people we are working with. And I will be
switching to the “D2” team, which has advanced therapy heart failure and heart
transplant patients, so it will be the same, but also different for the last 2
weeks.
Though it is not time yet for my promised mid-month reminder
email to donors, I’ve been receiving PayPal & checks steadily this month.
Every notification gives me a sense of support, friendship and gratitude.
Already the donations have made a difference, I’m much less stressed about
going into the usually lean 3rd month of the term. We will have
enough to make it until the Spring financial aid disbursement happens at the
end of March. That’s because of my friends who have donated. Thank you!
I want to show you all something that has touched me and
helped me launch this blog. Amanda Palmer spoke in 2013 in this cool TED talk
about asking for help from her fans. Mostly what I know about Amanda Palmer is
that she is married to and has a baby with Neil Gaiman. Apparently she also
sings? From food to crash space to Neti pots to paying what you want for her
music – she has a wonderful attitude about the reciprocal benefits of asking
& receiving. She talks about the authentic connections and unique experiences
that asking for help has provided for her. If you have 13 minutes, I highly
recommend it! We should all remember that when we allow others to help us, we are also giving them a gift as well.
I watched this talk again before writing this post and while
I was listening, I was reminded of a fantastic organization that I know about here
in Portland. Enso Theatre Ensemble is a special
project that works to support many artists in the community. They also have an
education and mentorship mission. My daughter has worked with them as an
assistant stage manager and loved the experience. At every performance, there
is a warm up act and art for sale. Check out their website, they can explain
their wonderful mission better than I can.
I’ve felt much less stressed out at school than I was before
my lengthy break, due in large part, my reduced feeling of isolation. Every
time I get a PayPal update or a check in the mail I remember that all these
people have my back and believe in me enough to help me out. Also after 12
weeks off from school to remember how to relax, read a book and develop real
interests, I’m trying to keep that momentum as I re-integrate into med school
life. I’ve just finished reading The Pirate King, by Laurie R. King. She
writes a fantastic series based on the stories of Sherlock Holmes with a female
protagonist named Mary Russell. This one was new to me but this is a series
that I own and can read over and over again. I’m looking forward to getting the
next book that is available in trade paperback. As for the latest book, it was
released as a hardback in April of last
year so I think I’ll have to wait a while for that one.
I’m also still working on needle felting projects, though I
enjoy the beginning shaping of the pieces much more than the fine, patient work
of finishing (guess which part involves more stabbing). I’ve got 3 little
nesting dolls I’ve created that are only lacking in embellishment. They are
mostly a weekend project since I’m waking at 4:30am and am usually too tired
& eyesore to work on them on work days.
If we were at the same point in my blogging efforts that we
were at in the beginning of this post, I would be worried that this piece was
too much stream of consciousness and not worthy of posting. Fortunately, the creative
process provides forward flow for a stuck writer as well as an ACE inhibitor
does for a patient in decompensated heart failure with reduced ejection
fraction. And like regular blood tests to check in on kidney function, I will continue
to check in with you all about life & medical school so you can see what a
gift we are giving each other through this process.
No comments:
Post a Comment